What to do if a dry cleaner is wrongly accused of ruining a garment?

A customer brought an already existing problem garment to our facility. We called her after inspecting the garment with the problem and she accused us of messing up the blouse. A few days later, her lawyer sent us a letter wanting money for the garment. What would be the best way to resolve this problem?

Asked on September 2, 2011 under Business Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The best way for you as an owner of a small business is to respond to the letter with a written letter setting forth why you did not damage the customer's garment in that it had a pre-existing problem when it came in. Keep a copy of the response for future reference.

Hopefully you took photographs of the blouse that is the problem in your situation.

As a business owner you you have a decision to make. Do you fight the claim in that the garment came into your dry cleaning business with the problem, run the risk of losing any small claims action and end up getting negative feedback in the community, or do you pay for the garment knowing you did nothing warranting the payment to hopefully minimize negative feedback from the customer?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.