wrongful termination/wrong allegation falsification of time

I was working UTMB ER leaguecity campus. My shift was start 8:45 am. I clock in that day in hallway phone clock into work 8:44 am and park my car 8:45 in ER parking lot and sit in my duty post.850 am. only 4 minutes they terminate me.

Asked on June 7, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Actually and unfortunately, you can be fired for being only 4 minutes late. The fact is that most employment is "at will", which means that a company can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit. This includes termination for tardiness, not matter how slight. Actually, a worker can be discharged for this reason, any reason or no reason at all. This is true unless you have ptroection against this action under the terms of an employment contract or union agreement. Also, your treatment must be due to any form of legally actionable discrimination (which you did not indicate).

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you don't have a written employment contract which prevents termination in this way or otherwise protects your job, you are an "employee at will" and may be terminated at any time, for any reason whatsoever, without any prior notice or warning. So without a contract, this would be legal, not wrongful.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.