Wrongful Termination and Unemployment Benefits being appealed.

I was terminated from Pizza Hut after 2 1/2 years of employment. I was threatened with my job prior to that because of a customer complaint stating I did not satisfy their complaint. I was told that I would no longer be needed if I did not satisfy them. I was told to do whatever was needed. After that, when a customer complained,I would give them a free pizza or breadsticks. I was then terminated for giving away too many coupons in violation of a coupon policy. The policy they terminated me under contradicts the “Satisfy the customer” policy they had in place. Can I win this appeal? Tips?

Asked on July 3, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this ara of the law.  Employees at will can be fired for good bad or no reason at all. What that means is, your boss does not need to give you a reason why he is firing you.  In this case, your boss cites to a company policy as the reason for terminating you.  While it seems unfair to you as you were simply trying to follow what you boss said about doing what it takes to make customers happy, he can exercise his own discretion for firing you if he believes that you overstepped/failed to follow his instruction.  It is unfortunate and does not seem right, but the boss is permitted to do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.