What to do about wrongful termination?

I was fired for what they say is gross misconduct – coupon fraud. I had bought some items with coupons and returned them. I have their coupon policy that another associate handed me and it clearly states, “The return policy is the same whether an item is purchased with cash, check, credit card, gift card, or manufacture coupon.” So I was wondering what I could do because it clearly states in the policy that I did nothing wrong.

Asked on September 9, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Do you have an employment contract or agreement? If you do, and if it addresses termination (grounds for termination; process or procedure for termination; your right to appeal; etc.), then those tems must be honored, and termination other than in accord with them would potentially be wrongful.

If you don't have a contract, though, you are an employee at will; as an employee at will, you may be fired at any time, for any reason--even an unfair one. So as an employee at will, you could be fired even just because your supervisor had a bad day and wanted to fire someone or decided she does not like you. Therefore, if you don't have an employment contract, this is most likely not wrongful termination, unfornately (employees at will have few rights), unless the company discriinated against you on the basis of race, sex, religion, age over 40, or disabilit, in deciding to fire you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.