What to do about a possible wrongful termination?

My son was terminated from a national chain store. He took them a doctor’s excuse and called the work line, due to a strained/sprained ankle. My son is disabled/handicap and enjoyed

working there and he doesn’t understand what’s going on. We need help.

Asked on July 2, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Did your son have and use a sick day for any absence? Or if not, is the company policy that you may call out of work--and, if so, did he comply with all the rules about doing so (e.g, called in time)? If he missed work and because of company rules and/or how he missed work or notified the employer, it was an unexcused absence, he could be terminated for it: employees may be terminated for unexcused absences regardless of doctor's notes. But if it was an excused absence, he should not have been terminated for it; in that case, since he is disabled, this may have been illegal disability-based employment discrimination, and you and your son may wish to contact the federal EEOC or your state's equal/civil rights agency to file a complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.