What can I do about wrongful termination?

Over the past three year, I was hired, the promoted and relocated. I was then demoted unjustly and returned to my previous location. Upon return i have had nothing but harassment,

discrimination and overall just a hostile work environment. I have never been terminated in over 35 years. I feel this is age discriminationover 50 and harassment.

Asked on June 30, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

There is no such thing as legally wrongful termination (though, of course, a termination may be ethically or morally wrong), given that employment is employment at will, unless--
1) The termination is in violation of the terms of a written employment contract.
2) The termination (or employment harassment or discrimination) was due to a protected characteristic, chief of which are race, national origin, sex, disability, religion, and--most importantly for you--age over 40.
In regards to 2): an older employee can be terminated (or subject to unpleasant conditions or disciplined) so long as the reason for that treatment was not age--i.e. he or she could be subject to negative treatment due to a peformance issues, insubordination, lateness or absenteeism, customer complaints, violating workplace policy, etc. But if an older worker suffers some negative consesquences or is subject to negative treatment and there is no logical or reasonable explanation or cause, then it may be illegal age-based discrimination or harassment.
If you don't think there is any non-age reason for this treatment, then you should contact the federal EEOC or your state's equal/civil rights agency to inquire about filing an age-discrimination complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.