wrongful termination?

Is it legal for an employer to fire an
employee while the employee is still
recuperating from a heart attack in the
hospital. He has been in the hospital
for about 3 weeks. Also they tried to
cancel his health insurance although
money was still being taken off his

Asked on April 24, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

An employee may be fired if he misses work, even due to medical reasons (e.g. recuperating from  a heart attack) if:
1) He doesn't have and use paid time off (e.g. sick days) to cover the absence; and/or
2) He is validly out on state disability; and/or
3) The company isn't covered by, and/or he isn't eligible for, or he doesn't use, FMLA unpaid leave for the absence. (You can find the criteria for which businesses and employees are covered on the U.S. Dept. of Labor website.)
Apart from the above, the law does not make employers retain employees who do not come to work, even for medical reasons.
As to insurance: if employment is terminated, health coverage may be terminated, subject to the obligation to inform the employee of his COBRA rights and his option to elect COBRA. Any premiums paid should then be adjusted based on when coverage terminated or changed to COBRA.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.