What to do about a wrongful service termination?

I own a pool service/maintenance company. I have a customer (community club/center) that are going to remodel the pool area and part of their equipment. They asked around for bids, including my own, and they decided on one company to do the work. But now, this company told my customer that in order for them to make any warranty valid, they needed to take over the service. So my service will be terminated because of that. Do I have a case against any of the two?

Asked on March 2, 2012 under Business Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you had a contract for a specified or definite term, and the customer has breached the contract by terminating your service before the contract expired, you could sue the customer for breach of contract. Otherwise, you probably do not have a claim against either: if the customer canceled in accordance with the contract, then they did nothing wrong; and there is no law against putting in a bid for work or services that is based on the customer switching some other service to you, too. (For example, an insurer may offer you a discount on the automobile insurance you're seeking if you also change you home insurance to them; the cable company may offer you a bundle that gives you discounted cable TV and internet if you also give them your phone service; etc.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.