Written discipline action for attendance despite MD note

I was given a written discipline for not having enough PTO hours to cover the time I was off work for a 4 days with a note from a physician. Is this legal?

Asked on December 20, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It is completely legal. There is a common misunderstanding or misapprehension that a doctor's note excuses absences from work: it does not, unless the employer voluntarily chooses to let it do so. The doctor has no authority over the employer; and the law does NOT require employers to let employees have time off from work, even for medical reasons, unless:
1) The employee had accrued and used sufficient PTO to cover the whole absence; and/or 
2) The employer is covered by FMLA (50 or more employees within a 75-mile radius), the employee is eligible for FMLA (worked there at least one year; worked at least 1,250 hours in the past 12 months); the illness was serious enough to qualify (required at least 3 days out), and the employee used FMLA.
Only with FMLA or PTO are you allowed to miss work. Otherwise, you may be discipined, even terminated.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.