writ of habous corpus? expunsion? gov. pardon?

I plead guilty to a false police report in 2002 I have had a clean record before and after. a company will not hire me due to that charge. FINRA has declined my U4 application. Is there somthing i can do to take it off my record or lower the misdeminor class?

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In Texas, there is no expunction for a criminal conviction.  You would have to try and obtain a pardon from the governor, but that's about the only legal recourse that you have available to you.

However, I checked on the qualifications for your U4 application with FINRA.  Most misdemeanors are only a disqualifying event for 10 years after the conviction is entered.  If you pled guilty in 2002, then in 2012 you would be entitled to re-apply.

You should consult with a criminal attorney in your area, possibly he will known of something else under Texas law of which I am unaware.

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.