What would be defined as a hostile work environment?

I had a relationship with a co-worker (she initiated and I have proof) upon the breakup, I spoke to management and requested a transfer because of the situation. They said no. I then found an employee in another area who was willing to make a trade with me, I informed my management that the situation was becoming detrimental to my mental health and I couldn’t continue to work in these conditions (documented). They denied the “swap” saying that our company does not do that, however there are multiple instances in which that has happened. I feel like I’m being forced out. What can I do?

Asked on July 21, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A "hotsile" work environment essentially is a situation where employes are harassed, denied breaks, not provided with required working equipment and the like as a general example. In your situation, just because you feel uncomfortable about working in an enviroment with a person that you once dated does not in and of itself make the situation a "hostile" work environment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.