How to handle the transfer of the guardianship of a minor?

I’m 14 and live in IN. Would my grandmother’s attorney from TX (where she lives) need to come IN to sign guardianship papers if my adopted parents are giving guardianship over to my biological grandmother?

Asked on September 10, 2011 under Family Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your adopted parents are willing to give guardianship of youself to your grandmother, and you and your grandmother are also willing to agree to your grandmother being your guardian, all that needs to be done is to have the necessary paperwork be sent to you and your adopted parents for signature (preferably before a notary public) and then sent back to Texas for your grandmother to sign (preferably before a notary public).

Your adopted parents and your grandmother need to make sure what type of guardianship is being given over. Meaning, custodial guardianship of yourself or custodial guardianship of your assets or both?

Insurance, medical, dental, and educational records need to also be transferred to your grandmother if she is going to be your custodial guardian.

Good luck.




IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.