How to document that my boyfriend and I both own a house even if my name is the only one on the deed?

We have lived together for 11 years when I purchased the house. If we both signed an agreement and had it notarized, would that be legal?

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


Chris Miao / The Law Office of Lee & Miao, PLLC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you want your boyfriend to own the house with you, you can sign a new deed that would name both of you.  Once that is recorded with the State, you will have equal shares of the property.  Please note, if there is a mortgage on the property, there are additional things which you must consider.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.