Would it be worth it to get a lawyer? Or would they take a great deal of my money?

I have been subcontracting for a company for 6 years. However, for the last 3
years, I have been having trouble getting paid. Since this is also a company I
worked for hourly for 22 years, I was giving them leeway. It is now May and I
haven’t received any money from them since Feb. They are behind about 40,000 if
all invoices were added up. I haven’t worked for them since the middle/last of
March, hoping they would pay up. However, the only response I keep getting is ‘We
are working on it.’ I didn’t know if it would be worth getting a lawyer because I
wouldn’t want to lose a great deal of the money I have earned and been waiting on
for so long.

Asked on May 9, 2016 under Business Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If they owe you $40,000 and haven't paid for 4 months, it is past time to hire an attorney and file a lawsuit. If the company is having financial, legal, or other difficulties, you want to try to get paid before they go out of busines, go bankrupt, or get sued by other people to whom they owe money and have all their funds used up or tied up. If you want, for this amount you can very likely find an attorney who will take the case on a contingency basis, or for a share of what he or she recovers for you, minimizing your out of pocket costs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.