Would it be necessary to obtain a lawyer if you are charge with a Schedule VI marijuana misdemeanor drug charge on a university campus?

I am hoping to get the charge expunged from my record and am wondering if I simply need to seek legal advice or if I actually need representation in court.

Asked on September 25, 2015 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Get an attorney if you can.  This is not a "got to jail for the rest of your life case," but any drug charge can affect you for the rest of your life.  If the charge is not dismissed or the paperwork for a certain plea deal isn't completed properly then you will lose your ability to get this charged expunged at a later date.  Many people show up, trust the prosecutor, and sign documents that they don't fully understand on a routine basis.... they don't seek understanding until they are denied employment when it shows up on a background check.  It will cost you a bit to invest in representation right now, but it will open up more opportunities if you can get it dismissed or expunged. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.