Would I be required to pay child support if the custody was swapped to the non-custodial parent after 16 years?

I have supplied 90% of my multiple children’s support and all medical for the past 16-18 years. I received no support from non-custodial parent for the first 12 years and very little ($250/mo for 3 children total) for the last 4 years. Does the court ever recognize a case where I have already paid more than my legal requirement for the children if the custody was changed to non-custodial parent for two of my children’s last 1-2 years before age 18? My 2 children in question are 16 and 17. My third child is already 18.

Asked on August 20, 2012 under Family Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you will be required to pay child support if custody is exchanged with the non-custodial parent of the minor child after a period of sixteen (16) years depends upon what the local county guidelines are with respect monthly income of the two parents. I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney about the situation you are in.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.