Would I be able to sue the Hospital and under what context?

I went to the hospital for a cat scan and no one reminded me to take off my belt or
any other metal objects. While I was under the machine my belt caught on fire
giving me minor burns.

Asked on May 9, 2016 under Malpractice Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

What you describe is malpractice: negligent, or unreasonably careless, medical practice. The issue is, is it worth doing anything (i.e. taking legal action) beyond simply asking for some compensation?
In a malpractice case, you can only get compensation equivalent to your out-of-pocket (not paid by insurance) medical costs, lost wages, if any, and, if you suffer long lasting (months or longer) significant disability, disfigurement, or life impairment, some amount for "pain and suffering." However, at the same time, a malpractice case can be expensive to bring, because you need a medical expert on your side, and they do not work cheap. So if, as we hope, you have relatively few additional medical costs and your burns, which you state were minor, heal quickly and well, there'd be no point in legal action: you'd spend more on the case than you'd get back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.