What to do about a denial of a worker’s compensation claim?

I was recently denied benefits from workman’s comp involving carpel tunnel and radial tunnel surgeries in both arms and wrists. I know it was from working at my job. This case has been going for 6 months. How long do I have to be able to try to fight this denial? I just went back to work. How do I make this right?

Asked on September 6, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can appeal the determination internally, to the worker's comp board. Or alternately, you can bring a legal action in regards to the denial. Or as a third option, if you are denied worker's compensation, you may be able to sue your employer for the injuries you sustained, if they are work caused or related. In any event, step one is to consult with an attorney, one with worker's compensation experience. Your chance of picking the right options to receive compensation--and then of actually being able to win and get that compensation--will be dramatically improved by having an experienced attorney in your corner. Trying to do this yourself will save some legal fees, but would likely be a foolish economy, since you will hurt your chance of receiving compensation for your injuries. (Or: if an attorney reviews your case and concludes it's not worth pursuing, you may be better off taking that advice rather than continuing to expend time and resources.) Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.