Can I sue if I was not given full-time hours?

I’ve been working for 5 yearsat a national retail chain. I’ve been trying to get full-time since I started. I work my butt off and do everything around there. Now, they’ve hired someone; he’s worked there only about 6 months. His dad is the manager at another pf their stores. I just found out that they gave him full-time already. When I asked why he got full-time and I didn’t, they told me because they “accidentally” scheduled him 40 hours too many weeks in a row. Therefore, they have to give him full-time. Can I file a lawsuit?

Asked on July 29, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country you have the legal right to bring a lawsuit for not getting full time hours at work. The issue is whether or not you will prevail and what would be your damages?

Is there some unwarranted discrimination against you or is the other employee better suited for the position he received.

The problem of filing suit is that if you want to remain working where you are, the lawsuit is not the way to go about it. I suggest that you speak with your supervisor about your concerns and try to resolve what needs to be resolved so you can get full time status.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.