Workers comp

Doctor advised me to go to chiropractor because my back needs serious help. I did not file for workers’ comp before this visit. Should I? I do plenty of heavy lifting and such at work all say 6-10 hours any given day. So I’m sure this happened at work. The reason I ask is that when I was calling around to set up an appointment every office asked if I had workers’ comp. So it sounded like

something I should do but was not sure.

Asked on August 4, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You can file a workers' comp claim, since this was an "on the job" injury. This is a form of insurance providing wage replacement and medical benefits to workers injured in the course of their employment. What you should do now is to check with HR regarding the forms required for filing such a claim. At his point, you shuld consult directly wih a local workers' comp attoreny who can best advise you further. 

S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Since you were injured on the job, you should file a workers' compensation claim. Your employer's human resources department should have the applicable forms you will need to file your claim. It is advisable to speak with a workers' compensation attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.