What to do if I worked for my brother as a subcontractor, he died and now his estate won’t pay?

He was not married but lived with a woman 25 plus years. She has not let me see Will or be involved in the estate process.

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


Andrew Goldberg

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you had a contract with your brother, you could file a lawsuit against your bother's estate for the wages owed under the contract. If the girlfriend is his Executrix, you would actually name her in the lawsuit  and serve the lawsuit on her as the Executrix of his Estate. You don't need to see his Will to do that. You just have to hope he had a Will and she probated it in the local County Court of Common Pleas.As for whether he had a Will and whether you can see it, that is an issue unrelated to your contract and what damages you suffered by  the failure to pay under that contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.