What to do if my temp agency is not accommodating my work-related injury?

I am employed at a temp agency. I had an unintentional work-related injury which not my fault. Another co-worker knocked steel over that wasn’t restrained properly and they landed on my foot (broke 3 metatarsals) and I was put on restricted duty. Upon return to work with a doctor’s slip, I was given a desk job atthe job site. The same day after coming home, the temp service called and said job site didn’t want me to return until I was fully released by doctor. The agency has a policy that if injured they will find you work. They seem to be giving me the runaround. I’m not working now and need to take care of my family. What can I do?

Asked on August 20, 2011 Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, your employer (the temp agency) is required to accomodate your physical condition especially since you suffered a work related injury. The one draw back that you have in the filed that you work in is the fact that as a temporary worker, there might not be a lot of jobs that you can be outsourced to for work.

If there is a human resources department at work, I suggest that you have a meeting with the person in charge concerning your situation. If that does not resolve the problem, then you should consider consulting with an attorney who practices law in the labor field.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.