What to do if my husband doesn’t bring my kids home from when he’s supposed to?

My husband wants to take our 4 kids out of state (where he lives with his parents) for 2 weeks for vacation. We are in the middle of a divorce. What happens if he doesn’t bring them back at the end of the 2 weeks? Will it be difficult to get them back?

Asked on June 29, 2012 under Family Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If there is a court order in effect where your soon to be "ex" husband does not return your children he is taking on vacation out of state, he could be held in contempt of a court order and possibly abduction of minors IF he is not allowed to have your children with him on a permanent basis.

I suggest that before he and your children leave on vacation that you and he have a written agreement signed prepared by a family law attorney stating when he is to return the children to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.