Withholding Pay

Job is withholding pay. I’ve been working there over a month and they keep
making excuses as to why they won’t pay me.

Asked on July 8, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your employer for breach of contract / account stated. Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) are the amount you are  owed.
Depending on the amount of your damages, you may be able to file your lawsuit in small claims court. Upon prevailing in the case , you can also recover court costs which include the court filing fee and process server fee.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You can sue them them for the money, such as in small claims court as your own attorney or "pro se" (which is a fast, cost-effective option). You would sue based on "breach of contract": when you perform work for someone, you do so pursuant to an agreement (a contract), whether written or oral (unwritten), that in exchange for you doing the work, they will pay you. If you did you part--that is, you did the work--they are contractually obligated to do their part and pay. If they will not do so, you can sue them for the money you earned.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.