With no citation or arrest documents, is it possible for me to face charges/be jailed?

One gram of marijuana; no documents with my signature on it. Could this be possibly dropped or waived? I was pulled over and detained by an officer that viewed me purchasing marijuana from a dealer under surveillance. When asked permission to search my car I simply handed him the tiny amount cooperatively and assisted him in all questions relating to the dealer. I never signed anything and after the confiscation and my assistance he released me. I specifically asked him “Am I being arrested or charged with anything Officer?” and he said no but that he had to submit his police report anyway and that the rest of it was in the D.A.’s hands.

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Criminal Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have not yet been cited to appear in court or served with an arrest warrant the chances for you being arrested for what you have written is not very likely but there is still the possibility that it may happen. The good thing for you is that the amount of marijuana was not a significant amount.

If you have some concerns about the chances of you being arrested for the incident that you have written about you might wish to consult with a criminal defense attorney experienced in defending controlled substance cases in the county where you live.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.