What if any additional papers are needed to bring a minor back into the US if they have a passport?

I’m a US citizen. I have a 4 year old son, who is also a US citizen. My son has been in Vietnam since for the last 2 years, since he was 22 months old. I now plan to bring him back to the states in about 7 months. I would like to know if he needs any legal papers in order to get back into the US besides a valid US passport and birth certificate?

Asked on November 26, 2011 under Immigration Law, Minnesota


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If he is legally your child and you have custody of the child, as long as the child has a valid US passport, that is all that would be needed for him to travel back to the US.  The birth certificate is good to have as well to show proof of your relationship to the child.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.