Will my arrest affect my job opportunities?

My friend and I got arrested for going into some cars. All the merchandise that was taken from the cars was returned to the owners. We were incarcerated for 4 days and on the fourth day we went to court. We never went inside to see the judge. The officer at the door told us that our charges were dropped and we were set free. Is this is going to affect us from getting a job? I would think so because they are felony charges but even then I don’t know. Will a misdemeanor charge affect my job opportunity? My hope is because they were dropped it won’t affect anything.

Asked on February 20, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

In CA, an employer may not ask an applicant to provide information concerning an arrest that did not result in conviction or obtain a criminal background investigation report that includes information relating to an arrest that did not result in a conviction. That having been said, to be safe, you may be able to get your arrest rcord sealed. This would clear off any mention of the arrest from your criminal history record. While you can apply for this yourself, this can be a condusing and time-consuming process so you may want to consult directlywith a criminal law attorney. They can best advise further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.