Will my alimony be stopped if my ex moves to another country?

Can the state where I was divorced enforce my alimony decree if my ex moves to another country to live? The country he is moving to has an extradition policy with the US. How much of the year must I reside in the US in order to continue to get my alimony if I decide I want to visit my home country (but not live there permanently)?

Asked on July 22, 2012 under Family Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The alimony order that is in effect benefitting you will not cease simply because your former spouse moves to another country. Such order will cease under its terms (assuming there is an end date on it) or upon a new order issued by the family law court after notice and a hearing date is made.

There should be no requirement as to how long you must reside in the United States to continue receiving alimony. Given the questions that you have about your situation, I suggest that you may wish to consult with a family law attorney about your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.