Will my 18 year old need a DUI lawyer for her first underage drinking ticket?

This is her first offense and we wanted her handle it on her own but not being there is difficult. She is away at college she’s scared to go alone to court.

Asked on October 19, 2011 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your daughter has been arrested and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol and/or a controlled substance, the charge is very serious and if convicted, there could be serious ramifications as a result consisting of, but not limited to loss of use of her driver's license, monetary penalties and even jail.

Given the fact that a criminal charge is a serious matter, I always advise all my clients involved in a criminal matter of the need to retain competent legal counsel for representation in any criminal matter. I suspect that your daughter would feel much better with legal counsel representing her in this criminal matter and the chances for a better resolution would be much better.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.