From what state will I need to hire an attoreny if my ex-wife lives out of state and is taking me back to court?

My husband’s ex-wife is taking him back to court over various issues in the

divorce decree. She lives in TX; he lives in OK. Will my husband need to hire a

lawyer from TX or can he use a lawyer here in OK?

Asked on November 20, 2018 under Family Law, Oklahoma


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Your husband can be represented by either a TX or OK attorney. It would be preferable to be represented by a TX attorney, who would be more familiar with TX rules of court than an OK attorney. Also, it would be more expensive to be represented by an OK attorney, who would travel to TX for court appearances.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.