Will I lose my alimony if I move in with my man friend?

Asked on July 24, 2012 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Maybe.  Only if your former spouse finds out and brings an order to show cause to reduce the support order currently in place.  If you are cohabitating with someone, that could be legal cause to reduce your support. 

Under Family Code 4323, a reduction in support is rebuttably presumed if the payee is cohabiting.  So if you are living with someone you are romantically involved with, then the court would presume that they are shouldering some of the household expenses and thus your former spouse should pay you less support.

If you need further help with this or any other family law issue and are in Ventura County, feel free to contact me.

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.