Will I have charges pressed against me for pawning my mother’s ring?

I’m barely 18 years old, a senior in high school, good grades, already been accepted into several schools but I made one really bad choice. I pawned my mom’s ring from her ex-husband (my dad). I got $800 for it (it was worth $5000). The ring was found and returned. Before she knew it was me, she got the police involved. Now I’m waitng to hear from the District Attorney. I’m really scared. I have absolutely no criminal background and my mom has forgiven me and she is just as worried as me.

Asked on October 27, 2011 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

What you did *was* a crime--theft.

Unfortunately, once the police are involved, the victim of the crime is no longer in charge of what happens; the authorities can decide to prosecute even if the victim doesn't want them to. That's no to say that they won't take the victim's wishes into affect, especially in intrafamily matters or matters which do not involve injury to a person, so they might respect your mother's wishes to not prosecute--but they don't have to.

If hyou are in fact charged with a crime, you need to retain a criminal defense attorney to help you. If you can't afford a lawyer, ask for one--one must be provided for you. Do not say anything to the authorities without first speaking with your attorney. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.