Will I be able to obtain a green card for my second husband if I gave one through marriage to my first husband?

My first husband and I were married 14 years with 2 children.

Asked on March 4, 2012 under Immigration Law, West Virginia


mercy sequeira / Law Offices of Mercy Sequeira

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can petition a second spouse as long as the first marriage was a bonafide one.  The fact that you were married for 14 years answers that.  You will have to show that you were dovorced from your previous husband.


Nicklaus Misiti / Misiti Global, PLLC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, assuming the first marriage was bona fide.  It's going to be to your advantage to work with an attorney, so there are no issues with USCIS. 

Harun Kazmi / Kazmi and Sakata Attorneys at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Sure. This should not be a problem. There is a question on the application for you to indicate this. In addition, you had a long marriage and 2 children, thus, there should not be any questions about the first marriage.

SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can petition another spouse as long as the first one was a bona fide marriage and you would not be suspected of getting married to provide an immigration benefits to a foreign national.  For that, you would need to have the supporting documentation of the bona fide nature of that and this marriage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.