Will I be able to get unemployment

My current dental office is changing
thier hours. I cannot work the extended
hours they are making mandatory. They
stated I am to resign if unable.

Asked on June 1, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Iowa


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

If you resign your job, then you will be deemed to have voluntarily ended your employment. However, if you are fired for no reason (i.e. not for "cause"), then you will be eligible to receive unemployment compensation benefits. 

S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Don't resign.  Wait until you are fired.  If you resign, it will be deemed a voluntary quit which will result in a denial of unemployment compensation.  If you are fired, you will be eligible for unemployment compensation because the reason for being fired did not involve misconduct.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.