Will filing a quitclaim deed protect my home from husband’s d/b/a?

My husband and I have owned our home for 17 years, with a mortgage. He has his own business (a “d/b/a”) that is now struggling, and he owes money to some businesses. One of those businesses has filed a suit which threatens our home now. How can I get his name off our home title? Can he file a quitclaim deed? Any info is appreciated. Thank you.

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Real Estate Law, New Mexico


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There's no really effective way to get your husband's name off the deed.  Even if you use a quitclaim deed, the creditors can probably follow his interest because he wouldn't be getting anything back in his name.  While I'm not a New Mexico lawyer, there are statutes that are adopted usually in identical form by all or most states to deal with some subjects, called "uniform laws," and one of these deals with what are called fraudulent transfers, because they are designed to keep assets out of the hands of creditors.

Please talk to an attorney in your area about this, as soon as possible, and before doing anything.  Sometimes, trying something like this makes the situation noticeably worse.  One place you can find a lawyer to give you reliable advice, based on all of the facts of your case, is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.