Will dismissal from college be showed in my background check for employment?

If I am dismissed from a doctoral program because of plagiarism, will this be showed in my background check for employment?What if I am dismissed but win my appeal and still stay in the program? Will the dismiss charge still be showed in the employment background check?

Asked on June 2, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

There is no central repository of these records, so it *shouldn't* show. That said:

1) If anyone at the employer is or becomes aware that you attended that school, they can contact the school to check--i.e. it would be good for you to not mention having attended doctoral program there and not to have anything about it on your Facebook and other webpages.

2) If anything in regards to this is on a webpage somewhere (e.g. at the school; on a social media page of yours or of an associate of yours; etc.) it could potentially come up if anyone does a "Google" search about you.

So even though this would not be a record that one would normally expect to come up, in today's Internet, interconnectd world, it's impossible to guarantee that it will not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.