If a ticket mistakenly lists the wrong county, willthat error get me out of the charges?

I received 2 tickets – 1 for possession of marijuana; 1 for paraphernalia. The state trooper filled out the tickets and entered the incorrect county. From what I am told, I should appear at my initial court date and plead not guilty. When the trial begins, I will state that I was in a different county from what my ticket was written for, therefore I shouldn’t be at this county’s courtroom and the case should be dismissed. And due to double jeopardy I cannot be tried again. Is this correct?

Asked on March 29, 2011 under Criminal Law, Nebraska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, this is incorrect. If there is an issue with jurisdiction (which county has authority) or venue (location of the trial or court), that will dismiss this case...but because it was not an adjudication on the merits in any way, it will not preclude the case being brough anew in the appropriate jurisdiction or venue. Whether or not they will bother doing so is a different matter, but the authorities could look to charge you again in the right place. This may provide a good opportunity to get them to agree to a much lesser charge, as a way to avoid having to go after you again, so you should retain a defense attorney who can represent you and also negotiate with the authorities on your behalf.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.