Will an American be able to cross the Canadian boarder with a DUI charge?

My boyfriend lives in NYC and I live in Montreal. Last Christmas he got a DUI in Las Vegas. He wants to come visit me now in Montreal and we need to know if he will able able to. Also, if he tried and he doesn’t get in, will that further hinder him in the future?

Asked on October 27, 2014 under Criminal Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It is my understanding that Canada bars the entrance of US Citizens that have a DUI charge on their record, although the reverse is not the case. He can, though, apply for a waiver. I am going to give you a link to read. 


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.