Will a juvenile record show on an employment background check?

Was 16 almost 17 when charged with felony. It ended with probation and is now 18 and off of probation. Should we speak with a criminal law attorney? In Collin County, TX.

Asked on September 13, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your juvenile records are not confidential. And they are not automatically sealed once you turn 18. If something known as "sealing" is not done, juvenile records can be read by law enforcement agencies, probation officers, juvenile justice officers, prospective employers, educational institutions, and a few others. In the case of juvenile criminal records, Texas law lets you seal some convictions after a waiting period. If a court orders the sealing of your juvenile offense, all records of that offense may also be eligible to be “expunged” , a broader protection than sealing. For employment purposes, once your record is expunged/sealed the matter is treated as though it didn't exist. However not all offenses can be sealed. The fact is that this can all get complicated. Your best bet is to sit down with a criminal defense attorney and explore your options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.