Will a child support modification for insurance effect the whole order?

I am paying cash medical support per my divorce decree, but my new wife can
cover the children on her insurance. If I request a modification for the
medical coverage could this effect the amount that I pay in regular support
or will they only change the insurance?

Asked on January 9, 2018 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

It really depends.  You can file the Petition for the change but it does not stop your ex from filing a petition to modify if in fact the criteria are met under your state law.  But hey, her filing can happen either way so you may as well modify the health coverage.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.