Wife left the state of Ohio with my children what are my. Options?

Living in Columbus Ohio

Asked on January 12, 2018 under Family Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You should file for custody in Family Court in Ohio and haave her served.  Generally a Marshal in another state is given the papers for filing or you can hire a proces server in the state she is in as well.  They are easy to find online.  You need to do this because Ohio it the "home state" of the children as of now.  If, however, they are gone for more than 6 months, Ohio courts lose the ability to decide cases involving them (called Jurisdiction).  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.