If my wife died, how do I change our property into my name only?

We own a home and my wife died. She had a Will and I am the only beneficiary. I would like to change the loan and property into my name alone.

Asked on June 4, 2012 under Estate Planning, New Mexico


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  If you owned the house as husband and wife it passed to you automatically upon her death.  If you wish to change the deed to your name alone you would have you go through the probate process and have an executor's deed drawn up.  But it may not be necessary depending on the rest of the estate.  As for the loan, you can continue to pay the lender even though she has passed away.  They will not call in the loan.  But if you want the loan in your name only then you have to refinance it using only your salary.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.