If my wife and I just seperated and have 2 children, should we have legal paperwork regarding custody?

I’m kind of worried since it just came out of the blue.

Asked on January 10, 2013 under Family Law, South Dakota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Based upon the fact the legal separation between you and your spouse took you by surprise and you have minor children, I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to have prepared a custody agreement to be signed by you and your spouse as a precaution. Having such in order would be wise.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.