If my wife and I are filing separation papers today, what will happen to my future inheritance?

I’ve heard nightmare stories about ex’s coming after inheiritences and I am very concerned. My grandmother has not passed yet and the soon-to -be ex-wife included a clause in the agreement that she wouldn’t touch an inheiritence. The inheiritence will not be in my possession until after the seperation papers are notorized. Will the judge honor the separation agreement? Is my future inheiritence safe from the soon to be ex?

Asked on August 1, 2012 under Family Law, Connecticut


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you live in a community property state, community property is property acquired during marriage.  Community property also includes income during marriage.  Each spouse has a one half interest in the community property.

Separate property is property acquired before marriage or after the marriage ends.  Separate property also includes income before marriage or after the marriage ends or after separation with no intent to reunite.  A spouse has no claim to the other spouse's separate property.

An inheritance is your separate property whether it occurs during marriage or after the marriage ends.  Since an inheritance is your separate property, your spouse has no claim to your inheritance.

If you don't live in a community property state, other rules may be applicable.

As for the court honoring your inheritance agreement, I don't see why a court would not honor it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.