What can I do if they won’t they pay me after I was injured at work?

I was injuried on the job. The doctor put me out of work for 4 weeks, then

requested that I get physical theory before I could return. I filed a workers’ comp

case but was denied. I have no income, 4 small kids and the doctors are

instructing me to go to other specialist. I have no way of affording any care.

Asked on September 7, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

All you can do is appeal the worker's compensation denial and/or sue the employer, if you believe the employer was "at fault" (e.g. unreasonably careless, or negligent) in causing your accident and injury (liability for another person's injuries is based on fault; if there is no fault, there is no liability, even if the injury occured at work), neither of which is certain, and both of whick will take time. There is no way to get compenation for your injury other than through worker's comp or a lawsuit (generally, it's one or the other; if you get worker's comp, you can't sue, but the worker's comp provides the compensation in that case).
You may need, if you have no income and few assets, to look into applying for Medicaid to be able to pay for medical care.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.