If my father left a multi-million dollar estate, why did I only get $500 if I am his oldest daughter?

My father died last month. he left me when I was young, mover to another state and never looked back. The home he lived in is worth 31M. He left my half-sister with other properties worth millions. I feel that I am entitled to a third of his monies.

Asked on May 22, 2016 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

With such an extensive estate, I'm assuming that your father had a Will. And the fact is that a parent may disinherit a child. Typically, so to prevent a later claim that a child was inadvertently omitted from a Will, a token sum is left to the child in question. This is most likely why you inherited the $500. Accordingly, unless you can prove that your fatherr was mentally incapacited at the time that he made his Will, was under undue influence to disinherit you (which you essentially were) or the like, you cannot contest its validity. That having been said, in the unlikley event that your father died "intestate", that is without a Will, then as his child you would be your father's heir, in which case you would have inheritance rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.