Why can a bankruptcy couurt hold my child support money

My ex-husband bankruptcy lawyer filed a claim to receive his payment from funds held by bankruptcy court, which include my child support for the last 3 months. I live in the state of tn

Asked on June 16, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Tennessee


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There are a lot of fact questions that would need to be answered, before anyone could tell you what to do next.  You need to give a much longer explanation of your situation, to an attorney in your area (or one who practices where your ex-husband's bankruptcy is taking place), for advice you can rely upon. One place to find a lawyer is our website, http://attorneypages.com

It's my understanding that child support is a very high priority debt, right behind federal income taxes;  neither one can be discharged (wiped out) by a bankruptcy.  A good lawyer should be able to make sure you get your money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.