who would be liabile? for any or if any damage.?

owner of house cutting grass on his property,a vechile was parked on street in front of the house. The owner was cutting the grass for at least 35 minutes. looking around for any signs of vechile owner. Finally the owner of the car appreared , she was upset because some of the grass was on her car. She took the car to her dealership and came back up set saying that theur was some small dincks on her car and wanted the property owner to pay the deductible on her insurance to have it fixed. You could verly see anything of damage. The owner of the house refused that he didnt do any wrong doing

Asked on June 3, 2009 under Accident Law, California


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The question is what should a reasonable person cutting their grass do in a situation like this.  a reasonable person cold simply stop mowing the lawn and wait for the person to return to their car.  That is an easy way to have avoided this situation, especially since the person mowing the lawn knows that he is causing grass and whatever small rocks to fly into the street (OFF HIS PROPERTY).  Therefore, i think that the person with the car has a decent case, unless the person saw the guy mowing the lawn and took the risk of her car getting hit.  I say the person with the car has a chance of winning depending whether she parked before the guy was cutting the grass.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.