Who pays for COBR?

I work out of state and provide the health insurance. However, I am divorcing my husband; we both live in the same state. I recently met with a lawyer who I am fairly confident I will hire. However, he was not familiar with how this should be handled and was not overtly concerned either at this point in time. I am just looking to be informed please.

Asked on June 29, 2012 under Family Law, Rhode Island


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is failry common knowledge that you are entitled to obtain coverage from your soon to be ex spouses insurance for 36 months post divorce.  What generally happens inm a divorce is that this is a negotiated issue between the parties.  In other words, you adn your soon to be ex will negotiate the issue in your discussions of distribution of assets etc.  I would seek consultation from another attorney in your area to confirm.  Good luck.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.