Who is responsible? Tenant or Landlord, or no one?

We moved our tv and stereo to the other side of the living room. They were both plugged into a surge protector which we plugged into an outlet. The stereo and tv both made popping sounds and now are dead. Can we get reimbursed by our landlord?

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I doubt that the landlord is liable for this, unless there were known electrical code violations that weren't fixed, and even then, you might not get anywhere with this.  You might have more luck with the surge protector company, if the unit came with a warranty that you can prove is still in place (receipt for purchase).

I'm not a Pennsylvania attorney.  For advice you can rely on, you should have a lawyer in your area review your lease and all of the facts of your case.  One place to find qualified counsel is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.